Tuesday, December 21, 2010

One Record to Rule Them All...The Tolkien Mega-Post


This is the double LP of the Rankin/Bass 1977
Television production of The Hobbit, complete with the 14 page full color book.  Basically you could put the DVD on and close your eyes its the exact same thing.  As a huge Tolkien geek (seriously its bad) I love this shit!  The animation, that Rankin and Bass style brings me instantly back to my childhood.  You can enjoy the Glenn Yarbrough Classic The Road Goes Ever On or the disco classic Down, Down to Goblin Town  I got this on ebay for 2.99 plus 2.99 shipping as a reward for working a 70 hour week for gay pride.
These are the original iron on decals that came with the record.  I owe David Ballantyne a huge thank you for these cause my special edition copy didn't include the iron on's. When visiting Oregon a year or two ago I told him I had been looking for the Bakshi LOTR soundtrack he graciously gave it to me.  Along with these iron on's from his Hobbit set, apparently his came with 2 sets of decals...maybe that's where mine ended up.  Either way I love them, and I swear when I lose weight I am making Hobbit tee-shirts!
This one is a little bit of a cheat.  If you look in the top left corner you can see this isn't actually the LP, its the tape!!!  I wanted to include this A. because I have had this since I was a wee tot  B.  As you can see this is the art from the Decals above. This reminds me of my family's road trip to Minnesota when I was in the 2nd grade.  I listened to this and Mary Poppins for 3 thousand miles.  Dociousalleyexpepiditionsfudgeycaliwoofus!




Here is the Rankin and Bass Return of the King Cartoon.  With a 10 page booklet inside.  I can't remember where I got this but I know I only paid 4.99.  I would say the highlight of this movie, without question is the disco super classic Where There's a Whip There's a Way although the stirring ballad Frodo of the Nine Fingers is a close second.
Here again is the Disney book and tape, also a hold over from my second grade road trip.  Now that I think of it, my Dad listened to Classical Gas non-stop the whole minivan ride there and back again.
The ill-fated Ralph Bakshi 1977 Lord of the Rings with a brilliant score by Leonard Rosenmann.  Another one that rings (HA) me back to my childhood!  This was a gift from David Ballantyne.  I enjoy this movie and I think the score sounds like something Bernard Hermann might have done.  I am on the lookout for the 4 picture disc versions of this soundtrack.
Here Tolkien in his own voice reads excerpts from his books. Even for a die hard Tolkien fan like me this is a dreadfully boring album.  It would be the greatest way to fall asleep any night you are plagued with a bout of insomnia.  I go this one at Nook and Cranny an antique store on Ditmars Blvd about a block from my house.  It was an freakin' steal at 5 bucks!
Here is another book on record, this time it's read by Tolkien's son Christopher.  Again is it an exciting listen??  No, not at all, but I couldn't pass it up for 5 dollars at Academy Records (415 E. 12th Street).  And finally the last record in my Tolkien mega-post is the The Hobbit read by Nicol Williamson.  It's a  4 LP set with a small booklet read stunningly by Williamson, a classically trained British actor.  I got this from gemm.com/ a great re-source for online album shopping. 

1 comment:

  1. Didn't know about the Argo record. Nicol Williamson has a great voice but its worth it for the sleeve alone.

    ReplyDelete