Thursday, January 20, 2011

Black Coffee

Kristine Prego and I used to get high and listen to the Time Warner Music channel.  That is where I discovered Dennis Coffey, a funktastic musician with the quintessential blaxploitation sound.  Like Quincy Jones but hipper and groovier, and whiter.   I used to write down songs that I loved from those Time Warner stations for a download at a later date (back then you couldn't just download music to your phone, we were still making mix CD's).  The song was called Black Belt Jones by Dennis Coffey from the movie Black Belt Jones.


I found Back Home Generation Records for $9.99.  It's a little more disco than funk, but I still get a kick out of it.  And though 8 tracks of disco sounding instrumentals get kind of tedious, I imagine a DJ would go nuts with this shit.  Keeping my eyes peeled for more Coffey.

No comments:

Post a Comment