Saturday, January 22, 2011

Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf (Jimmy Smith)


Welcome to what has turned into my Virginia Woolf weekend.  I realized after I posted The Orginal Broadway Cast of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf yesterday that I actually have a couple of different Virginia Woolf albums so why not make a weekend out of it.

This is Jazz organist Jimmy Smith's amazing record aptly Titled Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.  I fell in love with Jimmy Smith when I accidentally downloaded a song of his off of Bearshare years ago.  His razzmatazz organ skills are amazing and on this album he really outdoes himself.  To describe Smith's sound is almost impossible, it's like rockabilly, funk, retro, organ, jazz, but that doesn't do him justice. Just Listen to this.

This is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf Part 1, I always picture this as the theme song to Vodka Stinger's Bio Epic Titled What Actually Happened to Virginia Woolf.  Maybe playing over the top of a montage of a day in the life of the lady Vodka.  Vodka at Whole Foods, Vodka Having a cocktail with her dear friends Lonnie Anderson and Margott Kidder, Vodka getting a plasma separation, and all to the fabulous sound of Jimmy Smith


Check out the album art, it looks like a reject casting call from The Shining.  Jimmy Smith could be Scatman Crothers and the other one is like the creepy guy in the bear suit.  And yes that is my second reference to The Shining in my blog.  What can I say I love that movie.

1 comment: