Saturday, April 16, 2011

Strings Aflame!

Esquivel has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, while all the other kids my age were enjoying the plaintive whine of Nirvana, or Pearl Jam I was discovering the Rat Pack and something called "Space Aged Bachelor Pad Music".  The first time I heard that bongo rattle and the wistful chorus of 1950's studio singers I knew I had found my kind of music.

Dan and I have re-en-stated the cocktail party this year, every Saturday we invite a small group of our dearest friends, make a few tasty appetizer's, get out our kitschiest bar ware and swill back some hard alcohol.  And nothing says kitschy cocktail party quite like Esquivel.

Jaun Garcia Esquivel is my personal favorite hispanic band leader, composer, and I believe he is the original hipster.  He is recognized today as one of the foremost exponents of a sophisticated style of largely instrumental music that combines elements of lounge music and jazz with Latin flavors. (Thanks wikipedia for that stellar wording).
I love mid-century artwork from books and of course records, if I ever was to get a tatoo it would surely be something along these lines.
This put my mind at ease knowing I can play today without fear of obsolescence
Hey guys if you aren't already don''t forget to "like" us on the book of face and or follow us on google!

No comments:

Post a Comment