Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lazy Sounding Ladies Week: Bobbie Gentry

I have a real thing for a lady who sounds so casual when she sings its almost as if she couldn't be bothered.  There are precious few women who can pull this off, Peggy Lee, Dusty Springfield, Nancy Sinatra.  Not only do these women make it sound easy but they are actually projecting more than most people when they push their belt.  It's just a naturally strong sound.  Here we have Bobbie Gentry of Ode to Billie Joe fame she is today's Lazy Sounding Lady.  This is Fancy, not fancy like "my what a fancy blouse you have on", but as in "here's your one chance Fancy don't let me down."  The story song about a hooker named Fancy, a song later covered by Reba.   Bobbie was a great story song writer. In fact many of her songs are story songs.

Bobbie Gentry is another singer (like Dusty and Peggy) who you should know. If you only know their hits I implore you to listen to more.  This is my favorite track off the Fancy album called He Made a Woman Out of Me.  A song I had to sing after my affair with Burt Reynolds, boy did he make a woman outta me!

Let's take a minute a drink in this album art. It's delicious, it's southern, it reeks of exactly the sound the album produces.  A kind of southern countryfied funk with a lazy lilt.  It's perfect hot summer day music, or in the dead of winter it's a nice reminder of what summer feels like.

Gentry kind of disappeared off the scene in the 70's retiring to California and never performing again.  I guess some people get their taste of it and can just stop.  Well we miss you Bobbie, but thanks for the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment